The project consists in performing small scale aerodynamic experiments of a modified airfoil offering higher aerodynamic performances. This modified airfoil was elaborated using numerical simulations (Computational Fluid Dynamics), whose results must now be validated through experiments. The research work will consist in 1) designing, 2) conducting and then 3) documenting the experimental campaign, which will be performed in a wind tunnel from HKUST.
The UROP participant(s) will design and perform the experimental campaign, this being achieved with the support and under the guidance of the supervisor. This research action will be phased as following:
Define the experimental campaign matrix
Design and build the airfoil mock-ups
Calibrate the experimental set-up (measurements devices, acquisition system, etc)
Conduct the experimental campaign
Post-process & analyse the experimental results
Investigate any discrepancy between the acquired experimental data and the prior computational results
Document extensively the experimental campaign
1. Learn how to conduct academic research
2. Learn how to plan, execute and exploit a wind tunnel experiment
3. Learn about the challenges/issues of transposing to a real-life experiment some virtual computation-based outcomes
4. Learn further about aerodynamics, wind tunnel experiments, etc.
5. Learn how to document research outputs following a professional standard