Information for Students
All students who join the UROP for the first time MUST meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Have enrolled in a full-time degree-bearing program and completed at least two semesters (e.g. Fall and Spring) at HKUST
- For UROP1000: Attainment of a Cumulative Grade Average (CGA) of 3.00 or above
- For UROP1100: Attainment of a Cumulative Grade Average (CGA) of 3.30 or above (For those who have completed UROP1000 before, this requirement can be waived)
- In receipt of a "No Objection Letter" (NOL) from the HKSAR Immigration Department*
*applicable to non-local students applying for UROP1000 in the summer session only
- Visiting and Exchange-in students are excluded from the UROP eligibility.
- Students with the same supervisor for both their Final Year Project (FYP) and the UROP project must ensure that the entire UROP course series (UROP1100/2100/3100/4100) constitutes no more than 50% of their FYP.
Go to the UROP Project Listing and search for your interested projects. Read the project information carefully and consult the supervisor if before submitting an online application.
Submit an online application by logging in to the UROP Online System with your ITSC account, and upload the following application documents:
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
|Application will be reviewed by the project supervisor and approved by the UROP Office. Upon receipt of the approval email, follow the instructions to enroll in the corresponding UROP course on the Student Information System (SIS) by the add/drop deadline|
Important Notes on Application
- You are advised to discuss the specifics and expected learning outcomes of the project with the supervising faculty member prior to submitting an online application.
- Each student is allowed to submit ONE application only per semester. If you would like to change or cancel an application, please send a request to email@example.com and copy the project supervisor on the email.
- To withdraw from the UROP course after receiving a firm offer, please send a withdrawal request to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy the project supervisor on the email. A course drop request should be made before the add/drop deadline. Failure to complete an enrolled UROP course without making any drop requests will result in a FAIL GRADE.
- For students who receive a conditional offer for UROP1000, you CANNOT begin with the project until you submit a copy of your NOL to the UROP Office.
To ensure that students have sufficient time to immerse themselves fully in quality research, they are restricted to one UROP project per semester. As a general guideline, students are expected to devote at least three project hours per week* on any given research project, although the actual level of commitment shall be determined between the supervising faculty member and the student.
*To reduce the risk of infection, the course requirement of 3 project hours per week can be optional for students enrolled in the Summer semester 2019-20. Faculty supervisors are advised to discuss with their students on how the projects can be conducted without requiring the students be present on campus. Please be reminded to follow the latest advice from the University on students’ presence on campus and the precautionary hygiene measures from time to time.
Upon completion of each course, students are required to submit a report in conference paper or journal paper format. Reports should be written in English and restricted to 8-12 pages in length (Times New Roman font size 12, double-spaced, single column, with no more than four pages of figures or tables), including a 100- to 120-word abstract.
The report should be sent to your project supervisor for approval first, before uploading it to the UROP Online System by the specific deadline.